Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Permission to Take Off, --Wait, Let Me Check My Compass!

When I was young, my mom had me memorize Bible verses for school. I remember fidgeting at my desk and having Mom remind me, "Finish copying Psalm 23 and then you'll be done for today." I would copy assigned verses, word by word, day by day, and seem to get little out of it. What was the point of the exercise? Memory lasts. Learning Bible verses and catechisms as a young child, though I failed to understand much of it at the time, gave me a foundation. Now, when I struggle with questions like "Why am I here?" the basic truth contained in the first catechism pops into my head: "Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."
Here at the end of high school, I look back over those hours I spent doing homework, and I praise the Lord for my Christian upbringing. I'm thankful for all the time and energy my parents put into homeschooling me and teaching me God's word. Now, I've finally reached the point where I must begin to fly on my own. The direction in which I fly will greatly effect the rest of my life. I want to choose God's best; but oh, how difficult it can be to surrender my desires for His!
I could easily become a modern career woman, but I don't believe that's what my Heavenly Father has in store. If He does want me to marry and have kids, my desire is to pass on to them the Foundation that will prepare them for perilous times(1Peter 5:8-10). This is an incredible feat that I know could never be accomplished by human strength alone. Praise God, He never gives us more than He will empower us to do! (2Corinthians 12:9) Because of this, I know I don't have to cringe at God's perfect will for my life - whatever it may be.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your encouraging reminder, Liz. You are such a blessing to me! =)

    ReplyDelete